It’s as important to measure the success of your blog as it is any other aspect of your online presence and there are several key data points that can help you track your blog’s effectiveness accurately. When it comes to blogging metrics, meaningful ones are generally related to how many people come to your blog and how engaged they are once they get there.
So-which metrics can help you track the success of your business blog?
Originally posted on Marqui's Web Marketing Blog
- Reach. You can measure your blog’s reach by looking at the number of visitors you receive over a period of time. This is useful because it gives you an idea about how many people actually arrive at your blog. This metric can be broken down to help you understand which keywords are driving the majority of traffic to your blog.
- Number of subscribers. The number of subscribers that your blog gets can give you a good idea of how effective your blog content is (how sticky it is). The better your blog content, the more people that will want to subscribe to receive regular updates from you.
- Quantity and quality of backlinks. How many other websites are linking back to your website’s content? Every reputable link that your blog content receives is like a vote for the relevance and authority of your website. A high number of quality backlinks means that your content is relevant and considered to be a good resource in your industry.
- Blog visitor conversion rates. When it comes to online business, it’s all about getting sales, and turning leads into customers relies upon your ability to convert those prospects. In terms of blogging you can track conversions by looking at your blog visitors’ navigation paths to see how many visitors explore your site further (look at product pages etc) and how many turn into solid leads from that.
- Visitor engagement. How many comments does your blog receive and how relevant are those comments? The number and quality of the comments you receive can help to give you an idea of how engaged visitors are with your content. Measuring length of time spent on your blog pages can also help you better understand your visitors’ engagement.
Marqui's Web Marketing Blog is brought to you by their marketing and consulting team to share ideas, best practices and trends from the world of web marketing. The blog aims to cover a broad array of topics relating to web marketing including content management, conversion optimization, SEO, email marketing and lead nurturing.
Posted by Sue Ansell at April 21, 2011 10:00 AM
Categories: Sales and marketing